Wednesday, September 03, 2008

He Gives & Takes Away

When I woke this morning, Dad was already up and a wave of fear and uncertainty came over me, not knowing what the day might hold for us. Phil 4:6-7 which has been reassuring me throughout this period, came to mind and I just spent time lying in the presence of God, you know the time lying on the bed just before waking up.

Mom came out of surgery this morning at one and the doc removed the blood clot and stabilised her. The cause was a rupture of an abnormal blood vessel and she had lost a significant amount of blood. Hopefully she will not have another relapse and when she is stable, they will conduct laser surgery to tackle the vessel. So the next 24 hours are crucial and anything can happen.

I think the beauty of this season, is that while I do feel helpless, I know God is sovereign. I have never felt alone nor overwhelmed by this situation. Its reshaping and redefining what I hold dear and what I'm living for. Life's never really gonna be the same again. I feel a move towards simplicity, cutting out the unnecessary and living a life who's sole purpose is to know God and glorify Him. That means we will probably not shift house and I will not go after the fast paced bank job.

This kinda sums up how I feel and there is an immense sense of gratitude for the 49 years God has given my mom and the blessing she has been to us.

"The Lord gave me what I had,
and the Lord has taken it away.
Praise the name of the Lord!"


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi lionel
i am shocked to hear what happened to your mom. i still remembered those times of sharing over meals we had with your parents during the recent retreat. she is definitely remembered in our prayers. please take care of yourself too.

p/s: could you email me at ng_ervina@yahoo.com and let me have your mobile tel?

love, ervina n cs.