Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Thoughts of Death

I'm at Starbucks at KLIA, waiting to catch the 2145 flight back to Singapore. Sipping my Java Chip Frappe and listening to Jamie (Dashboard) and shaking my legs haha. But beneath the jet set exterior is a guy who's mom has just suffered a serious stroke and may never talk or function properly again, if she lives through tonight.

Macabre? Well thats death and face it, its the common destiny of all man. My mom's one of those Type AAAAAAA (you get it) kind of person. No amount of illness of fatigue can stop her from doing work, whether its at home or at the office. Even on MC shes working on something or cleaning the house. For that I salute her industriousness and shes has really held this family together. Shes uber talented and driven, having acheived much in life and I really respect and love her not just for what she has done, but really who she is to me - Mom.

As I was on the train from KL to the airport, I was wondering if I regretted not spending enough time with her or treasuring her more. And yeah, I wasnt the perfect, pliant and considerate son, with bits of terror and selfishness thrown in. So maybe it could have been different, and if given asecond chance, yeah I'd change some of who I was, but I know she knew I love her mucho. I wonder why it takes a catastrophe to effect reflection and change. Guess we are self centered and do take things for granted when alls well. So if she pulls through, its gonna exact alot in terms of care and I'm gonna have to be there for my Dad and its something I've resolved within to do. If she doesn't pull through, then I'll see you again soon Mom :)

Moral of the story, treasure the people around you while they're still here. Sometimes its just as good to not win every argument or just to go the extra mile cause you never know when they'll go. More importantly, death can strike anytime and I'm assured of the life after in Jesus and I'd like to take this opportunity to really emplore you to evaluate what you are living for and to reach out to Jesus as your savior.

I may seem composed and calm, but I do feel strongly for my mom. BUT there is a peace and a reassurance that surpasses all understanding and that is the beauty of knowing God. That even through this He is in control. THe only sadness I feel is that something has happened to my mom, but whatever the circumstance, I take joy in knowing my Father has it in the palm of His hands! Woot :)

2 comments:

Kaye said...

hey... hope all is ok.. u were in KL?? i was there too from fri and just got back today. should have met up for dinner or something. anyway hope all is well with ur mom.. will be praying for u and ur family ok! :)

Imago Dei said...

=) as God is in control of all things, and has willed all things. =)