Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Roadtrip

Its so close, I can feel it. The adrenaline is coursing through my veins. Work has been dull, food tasteless, sleep unstatisfying. My entire being is geared up for tomorrow's trip up North. Its been awhile since I travelled. I need a break, a disruption to the normal routine, a time away from work. A few things I hope to get from this, time off to seek God at the beach and close to nature. I wanna see a different side of Malaysia. Need to feed the unquenchable need for adventure and exploration.

The posse include Joel, Wendy, Es, Jean, Jon and me and we're gonna be starting out from Malacca, cutting through the interior via Segamat and up northeast to Kuantan. Probably camp at Cherating and maybe spend a night at Sungei Lembing. Gonna be full of the sun, sand and sea and tons fo good ol Malaysian food. Can't wait.

Of course there are risks associated with a trip like this. Many things threatened to ground the trip long before it ever came to fruition, first with parents, then with the car. Was told on Monday that the car I originally booked, an Estima had to be sent in for servicing as the a/c was spoilt. They offered a Wish instead but I knew it would be a cramped and joyless ride. So i scrambled to find a replacemnt. I scoured forums and directories and to my surprise found some interesting information on the company I was renting the car from. Apparently they're involved in some scam where they lease the cars from owners who have no means of servicing their monthly instalments and then rent it out. Problem with this, is that its illegal according to LTA rules. Well the hirer wouldn't be implicated in any bust, but if an accident were to occur, then insurance wouldn't cover the passengers as the car was deemed to be rented illegally. SO it was a good revelation and all the more spurred me on to find a more reputable dealer. So i finally settled on a Toyota Picnic, nto as big but adequate for our needs. Got it at a pretty good deal of $120 per day for NTUC members, with no additional cost for driving up. Good stuff in all.

These few days at work have been a bore and I'm merely waiting for 12 noon tmr to bolt out and away. Woooo hooo.

No comments: