Friday, June 20, 2008

Making That Dash Count

Lionel Koh
Nov 1983 - ?


Been reading a great book - When The Game Is Over It All Goes Back In The Box(An awfully long title). One thing that left an impression on me was on making the dash count.

We all have no choice over when we came in, how we were born or what we were endowned with, and its represented by the birthday on the left. So we live our lives, get an education, a job, get married for some and one day the question mark gets filled in and we leave this life. We have no control over both dates, but we do have control over how we live that small little dash, and it begs the question, what I am living for?

I've realised since coming back from Kuantan that its all about God and the souls of men. Its something I've benn taught and something my mind always knew, but only just has my mind, heart and spirit been reconciled. Its like an epiphany, an awakening. Its life changing.

I guess I used to worry about what I did, to stay in Finance or move out, to remain in Shell or start my own business, or even to go into ministry. Now I know it all doesn't really matter. My occupation, goal and calling is to save as many people as I can . That is my full time ministry. Everyting else is just a means to fulfil this end. I now understadn my God is in control. He has everything planned and in the palm of His hands. Nothing He has willed can be twarthed and as long as I'm with Him, theres nothing to worry about. Its refreshing and liberating, to no longer be shackled down by the concerns of life, knowing as I plan and work, that He is in control, not me. So no matter what the circumstances, I can smile at the storms or dance in the sun.

Now the task at hand is how to make the time represented by the dash count. Its gonna affect the decisions I make on how I spend my time, money and strength. Everything needs to be evaluated in light of its eternal significance. Gone will be the desire for more stuff, keeping up with the Joneses and meaningless hedonism because they don't matter and cause I don't know just how long more I have before my Master calls me for an account.
So the challenge, both for myself and you reader, is to live life to make that small dash count.

No comments: