Sunday, June 08, 2008

Emo Bus Ride

Long bus rides tend to be emo ones, tonight's was no exception, but of a different kind.

Celebrated Jeraldine's birthday with the RLs at Bukit Panjang Plaza's Jacks Place. Somehow Jacks Place doesn't really serve good steaks, but it does serve up a hearty portion of nostalgia. From the way the steaks are served on a tacky hotplate and the way the still spoon out sour cream, bacon bits and spring onions only after ou get your steak reminds me of my growing up years when going to Jacks Place with the folks was such a treat. Pity their Lobster Bisque soup has dropped in standard, cause I used to really look forward to ordering it with Mom.

We adjourned to Starbucks after dinner and sat around for awhile. It started drizzling and everyone decided to head home. But it was such a nice night, sitting outdoors in the cool of the night with an overly sweetened Caramel Mach, I just didn't want to go home that early despite the promise of a free cab ride. So I stayed back alone and did some reading.

There was a portion in the article I read that struck me, and it had a quote that went something along the lines that,when asked the question of what their life would be like in forty years, most graduates would respond with what they'll have, like being rich, powerful etc, and only a few would respond on the person they'd like to be then. The article then asserts that the few that responded this way, were the ones who know where they're heading.

Where am I heading? What kinda man would I like to become? How can I best position myself to have the most impact? What is God's specific calling for my life? These questions have been on my mind and heart for awhile. Somehow, I don't get a definitive answer, but bit by bit and as the parts are revealed, God speaks to me. So I'm just plodding along for now, doing the best I can, knowing I'm in His hands.

I've been also rather distant the last few days, owing to the stress and weariness. The long bus ride back was a good time to just rest, to seek God and to reflect on these things. It was a good time to take stock of all that has happened and a time for healing. It was a different sort of emo bus ride, the kind that I'd look forward to taking again when the need arises.

No comments: