Thursday, May 03, 2007

West Texas Intermediate

I am working on a oil industry project now and ive been googling and reading till my eyes are tearing ><. Its an incredibly interesting industry and one that im looking forward to working in. In the course of my research, ive realised that this industry is cylical in nature, meaning its performance is like a wave with ups and downs. The oil industry is in the midst of a supercycle and its the longest cycle we've seen to date. It started back in 2002 after the 911 attacks and hasnt stopped since. Just when u think ive already bored you to death with all this oil talk, i shall add that what goes up will most likely come down and that the current sky high prices are unsustainable.

Well whats the point of my take on the oil industry in general (which most of you wont give 2 hoots about), it is that in a few years the industry is gonna decline in profitability, barring any major shocks, and im gonna be starting work for Shell in half a years time. Im just wondering what my future is gonna be like cause when i signed up with them i thought the boom would persist. In any case i guess i could always go work for PwC for minimum wage hahaha.

Well this week has been a tad bit mad. Worked on Labour Day and I left office at 8pm today bahhhh, cause this project is due on Friday. I forsee that Thursday will be another late day. The best part of it all is that my deliverables consist of only FIVE slides. Wa but the effort and research that goes into the points for each slide is exhausting.

They say every dark cloud has a silver lining and in mine i get to claim OT pay (1.5 x my hourly rate of $3.50/hr) and meal allowance of up to $10. Today i spent that $10 at Basil Alcove with Jon. We had a nice and cheap (according to my relative standard) dinner consisting of a juicy rack of lamb, pan seared duck, bratwurst pasta, ceasar salad and a bottle of Hoegarden for a grand total of $52 (of which $10 is offset from my allowance). Burrrp. Serene > bet wish you were there man ahahaha, you would have loved the lamb lol. We then wanted to watch spidey in action budden leh, the cinema was all packed so i decided to head home and.... DO WORK!! haha.

So after a whole night of ploughing through tables, charts and reports, i decided to write this rather incoherent and random entry. Hope it gives u a snapshot of my life. This crazy schedule is affecting my spiritual life as i am too tired to wake up early to spend time with God. So im gonna find a way around this by spending 15-20 mins before work at my desk just to pray and commit the day to God. I really feel my inadequacy this week and i need to rely on Him. Ok this ends here. I need rest.

BTW: West Texas Intermediate or WTI is a grade of crude oil that is used to price the world's crude oil supply although it only consists of 4% of total world supply. It currently trades at USD$65.71 per barrel. Just thought you might want to know :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i hv to stop eating with u all man... haha but YES! i wish i was there for the lamb n ceasar salad!! lionel we're all gg broke cos we're eating with u too much.

littlebitout.