Thursday, May 22, 2008

Amazing Grace


Beautiful song on the grace of God. Puts everything in perspective that I'm truly nothing apart from Him.

While reading up on this song, an adaptation by Chris Tomlin of John Newton's (the slave trader, not the gravity dude), I discovered that the last verse that we always sing was written almost a 100 years later and not the original last verse.

The original written by Newton was,

The earth shall soon disolve as snow
The sun forbear to shine
But God, who call'd me here below
Will be forever mine

And essentially its the promise of eternal life in the presence of the Almighty God. Many times we preach that salvation is the pathway to heaven. John Piper once posed a question along the lines that what if heaven was perfect, without suffering, pain and all, but God wasn't there, would we still desire to go there? While it's a little hard to imagine, it does serve to make me consider whether I'm in it for the benefit of heaven or for God. Has the promise of a perfect life overshadowed the promise of a life spent eternally in the presence of a perfect God?

So for me its a reminder to examine my motivations, and more importantly my relationship with God. I want to make Him all that I seek, the end in itself.

No comments: