Thursday, December 27, 2007

My Obituary

Was watching The Kingdom last night and it was a great show, really dig Peter Berg (Friday Night Lights). There was a particular scene that left an impression on me.

In response to a terrorist attack in Saudi, the FBI director sends a response team into the Kingdom in violation of the State Department, due to their aversion of exacerbating the situation. The director is hauled up before the Attorney General who lambastes him for his insubordination and threatens to bury him.

The director then recounts his experience in Nam, when Gen Westmoreland made them write their obituaries during the Tet Offensive of '68 and says, " once we clued in to the fact that life is finite, the thought of losing it didn't scare us anymore. The end comes no matter what. The only thing that matters is how you wanna go out." And with this approach he stood up to the AG in doing the right thing as opposed to being politically correct. An awesome perspective.

I guess as i replayed that scene in my mind over again, it rings true for my life as well. When I finally acknowledge that life is finite and limited in all aspects, theres no more fear, no more tedious deliberation, but the prospect of living fully and totally for God. Like Paul says, "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." The power of a dead man walking.

So here goes..

Lionel Koh
22 Nov 1983 - Today
A life well spent.


No comments: