Sunday, July 13, 2008

R230

56

55

Thats our team number in the OSIM Triathlon today and our team's name was JEL (Jimson, Erwin and Lionel; creative eh? haha). Entered in the Olympic distance relay comprising of 1.5km swim, 40km cycle and 10km run. I conclude after today that all triathletes are masochists and have an affinity for pain!

After Jimson's swim, it was my turn on the bike and I was off to a raring start. It was probably around the start of the 2nd lap that I started to feel the fatigue set in. My left butt cheek started to ache badly. On the way back, it started pouring and I was hoping that they might cancel it, I was sapped by then. Sadly no call was given and I had to press onto my 3rd lap.

The 3rd lap was uneventful and long, having to mentally push myself. "Come on!!" "No pain!!" "You can't quit!!" resonated within and I mustered up enough strength to make it through to the final lap.

Quarter of a way through my right calf threatened to cramp and it reached a point where I had to get off and stretch. After a breif respite, I remounted and forged ahead, albeit at a slower pace, mindful that my calf could cramp up any moment and leave me outta action. So it was a careful balance between speed and completing the race. With my ass and calf hurting, I made my way back, not before picking up speed at the final kilometer to arrive at the handover point with alot of seh haha.

The moment I got off the bike, i went "Sh*t!!!" My legs were jellied and I had to run a final 200m dismounted. At that moment my legs and my mind were in dissonance. Every step was so painful. I truly salute those blokes who can go on to run 10 clicks after the bike leg.

Handed the chip over to Erwin, my duty done and it was off to drink 10 cups of H20 haha and watch the rest of the race. We finished in a combined time of about 3 hrs 20 mins, not bad indeed haha. Now its gonna be a painful recovery over the course of the week haha.

No comments: